Manage California Korbel Timberlands contract logging, mechanical feller bunching, and mechanical processing to assure cost effectiveness and accomplishment of projected annual harvest. The incumbent assures the efficient and cost effective application of such capacity to achieve budget and quality goals. Additionally, this position plays a significant role in the scheduling and coordination of all harvest activity, both company and contract, to assure a timely flow of harvest volume to meet quarterly log sale commitments. Finally, this position is responsible for assuring contractor compliance with FHCP, AHCP, and all state and local THP provisions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (other duties may be assigned)
- Negotiates contract yard and load harvest rates at competitive industry prices.
- Manages the scheduling of contract feller bunchers and processors to service Green Diamond Company mechanical side shovel logging operations.
- Prepares contract rate sheets (est. 200 annually). These documents require the incumbent to seek a positive confirmation of status from the Roads, Wildlife, Botanical, Surveying, Forestry, Geology, and IFM departments before any activity can begin.
- Provides regular feedback for the monthly logging model update identifying changes, delays, omissions, and inclusions to be factored in the planning process of production.
- Assists in the management of contract log hauling in regard to dispatching trucks by destination in the most efficient way keeping in mind the environmental impacts to remain in compliance with state THP, FHCP and AHCP provisions.
- Ability to set haul rates to multiple destinations and from multiple landings.
- Conducts pre-operational meetings with project contractor.
- Provides contract project expectations with clarity to achieve the "no violation" policy in accordance with AHCP standards.
- Serves as a department representative for the Timberlands safety committee which meets monthly to review all aspects of the safety program.
- Regularly coordinates with the Superintendent and Supervisor of roads as plans change to ensure both departments are operating as efficiently as possible.
- Directs one seasonal contract administrator managed by the logging superintendent.
- Directs a contract self-loader for the ongoing project of salvage and recovery of dead and dying volumes over Korbel Timberlands ownership.
- Recognizes operational advantages and opportunities for a "best fit" to produce the lowest cost log.
- Provides information for the projection of contract harvesting costs into the 4 th quarter of any given year.
- Assists the Logging Superintendent to recruit and procure new contract logging and hauling capacity for future needs.
- Coordinates with the IFM department to develop harvest techniques that assure restocking of harvested acres.
- Assures a safe workplace. Takes personal initiative and an aggressive responsibility to ensure ongoing safe behaviors through implementation and active participation in the company safety program with a goal of no recordable accidents. Develops, implements, and facilitates safety elements to support the Divisions Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP).
- Performs monthly safety spot checks on all contract operating sides.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- BS degree in Forest Management or equivalent experience.
- Five years of experience administering logging contracts.
- Valid CA driver's license.
- Working knowledge of the California Forest Practice Rules.
- Demonstrated negotiating skills.
- Proven skills at estimating logging productivity rates.
- Extensive knowledge of log values and scaling rules.
- Ability to be highly motivated and self-directed.
- Exhibits strong leadership skills. Works with integrity, trust and commitment, setting an example for others.
- This position requires a particular emphasis on creative problem solving. Must be able to manage multiple projects and respond to unexpected changes to planned production schedules without resulting in downtime or lost productivity.
- Effective and productive communications skills; speaks well, communicates ideas clearly. Writes well, clearly and concisely. Is approachable and open to discussion.
- Proven positive working relationships with California State Agency Representatives, Federal Agencies, County and local governments and adjacent landowners.
- Effective and professional relationships with co-workers within immediate work group, outside the immediate department, and with key contacts outside the company.
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times. Treats others with respect at all times. Does not tolerate discrimination based on race, gender, religion, ethnic background, or national origin. Shares knowledge with others and participates in mentoring.
- Manages multiple priorities professionally with minimum disruption to others. Organized and proactively manages environment. Responds to unexpected challenges successfully without losing track of daily responsibilities. Prioritizes workload in order of importance. Reliably follows through with job assignments.
- Learns, applies and retains new methods and information. Creative in solving problems. Exhibits a "can do" attitude with a positive approach to challenges. Views obstacles as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Registered Professional Forester license.
- 5 years relevant work experience in IFM for marginal harvesting areas.
- Skills in Microsoft software.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- This position is located in Korbel, CA.
- Works primarily (90%+) of the time in the field under varying topography and climatic extremes.
- Ability to orient, climb, and traverse steep rugged, densely vegetated terrain on a consistent basis in in sometimes harsh weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Must have the ability to see distance and detail with accuracy.
- Must have good hearing ability.
- Must have ability to work independently and without immediate supervision in remote areas.
- Works in conditions that may expose employee wildlife encounters, poison oak and/or insect bites.
- Mandatory travel to remote company locations.
- Ability to tour logging operations, attend training and company functions.
- Must maintain punctual and regular attendance and present appropriate professional appearance at all times.
- Requires the use of standard safety equipment in regulation with GDRCo.
- This position is a Physical and Mental Requirement Classification 4.