FT; 7:00 pm - 7:00 am, every other weekend ,rotating Holidays; Bonus $10,000 (external candidates only)
Were searching for a Respiratory Therapist, provides appropriate respiratory care specific to the pediatric population in accordance with the hospital policy/procedure. Assesses, plans and implements appropriate respiratory plan of care based on the cardiopulmonary needs of the patients. Evaluates effectiveness of plan of care and recommends revisions to the multidisciplinary care team
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Set up and operate devices such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators, following specified parameters of treatment.
- Determine requirements for treatment, such as type, methods and duration of therapy, precautions to be taken, and medication and dosages, compatible with physicians orders.
- Read physicians orders, measure arterial blood gases, and review patient information to assess patients condition.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients to gain cooperation and allay fears.
- Monitor patients physiological responses to therapy such as vital signs, arterial blood gases and blood chemistry changes and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Administer therapeutic gases including nitrogen, nitric oxide, heliox, etc.
- Enforce safety rules and ensure careful adherence to physicians orders.
- Maintain charts that contain patient pertinent identification and therapy information.
- Inspect, clean, test, and maintain respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently and notify manager/supervisor when repairs are necessary.
- Educate patients and/or their families about the patients condition and teach appropriate disease management techniques such as breathing exercises and the use of medications and respiratory equipment.
- Perform broncho-pulmonary drainage and assist or instruct patients in performance of breathing exercises.
- Conduct lung capacity tests to evaluate patients cardiopulmonary functions.
- Provide emergency care, including artificial respiration, external cardiac massage and assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Complete all required respiratory therapy competency tests within specified timeline.
- Demonstrate competency in identified technical skills for the respiratory department at the specific work area.
- Other duties may also include Clinical Instructor (schedule dependent on the contract with Respiratory Therapy schools):
- Supervise contracted Respiratory Therapy (RT) students from specified schools in the clinical hospital setting.
- Orients RT students to their role in the hospital, which includes scope of service, policies and procedures, patient safety, and professionalism.
- Orients RT students to the equipment used by RT at Childrens.
- Provides opportunities for directly supervised hands on learning in the clinical setting.
- Responsible for accurate completion and documentation of all Respiratory Therapy performed with RT students.
- Responsible for accurate Hand off of patient information and ordered Respiratory Therapy performed with RT students.
- Demonstrates competency in technical skills related to the Respiratory Therapy department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited AMA approved school of respiratory care accredited by the National Board of Respiratory Care required.
- Bachelors degree from an AMA approved accredited school in respiratory care preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience in respiratory therapy preferred
- Experience working with pediatric patients preferred
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSURE
- Current and valid Nebraska license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner required.
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association is required upon hire.
- Current and valid National Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential required within one year of hire.
- Current and valid National Registered Neonatal/Pediatric Respiratory Therapist (RRT-NPS) credential within three years of hire.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification required within 6 months of hire.
Make a meaningful difference improving the lives of children!
At Childrens, the regions only full-service pediatric healthcare center, our people make us the very best for kids. Come cultivate your passion, purpose and professional development in an environment of excellence and inclusion, where team members are supported and deeply valued. Opportunities for career growth abound as we grow our services and spaces, including the cutting-edge Hubbard Center for Children. Join our highly engaged, caring teamand join us in providing brighter, healthier tomorrows for the children we serve.