Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Engineering Services (SEL-ES) seeks a Relay Commissioning Technician who wishes to work in a fast paced and ever changing high tech environment. If you have demonstrated successful experience in manual dexterity, the ability to multi-task, and possess process improvement skills, we invite you to consider joining our innovative team. This position is based in our Houston or Plano TX office. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Knows and applies concepts in the planning, design, testing, installation, commissioning, and maintenance of electrical power systems.
2. Develop and maintain a basic level of knowledge in the detail design practices of SEL protection and automation systems as well as quality standards.
3. Conduct tests in support of department objectives, documenting and reporting malfunctions and identifying/analyzing undesirable trends.
4. Perform wiring modifications and physical installation of electrical protection, control, and automation equipment as required.
5. Work in a safe, healthful and environmentally sound manner, report accidents and unsafe conditions promptly, and perform ergonomic exercises to reduce likelihood of injuries.
6. Follow and apply SEL Values, Principles of Operations, and World Class Manufacturing Principles.
7. Understand, create, and simplify.
8. Other duties as assigned. Required Qualifications
Associate's degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or equivalent certification, training and experience
Ability to provide technical service and/or engineering support in an engineering environment
Ability to read and interpret electrical schematic drawings and wiring diagrams
Possess basic knowledge of standards, codes and regulations specific to electrical power systems
Willing to travel up to 75% of the time
Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
Background check results satisfactory to SEL
Negative drug test result(s) Preferred Qualifications
Ability to write automated test plans for testing protective devices
Familiarity with industry protocols (IEC-61850, DNP, Modbus)
Familiarity with Autocad, Microstation and AcSELerator Quickset
Familiarity with modern test equipment Physical Requirements
Ability to work in outside environments with varying climates
Ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, squat, climb, and use arm and hand movements
Ability to carry tools and to handle materials and equipment of up to 50 pounds
Ability to work at heights on lifts, stepladders and/or extension ladders An Award Winning Company
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets in many different industries, markets, and geographies around the world. Communication with Applicants
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of resume or CV submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/Vets/Disabled.
SEL partners with customers around the world to ensure the safe, reliable, and economical delivery of electric power. We design, manufacture, and support a complete line of products and services for the protection, monitoring, control, automation, and metering of electric power systems. As an employee-owned company, SEL's core values drive the way we view our community, industry, company, and environment. At SEL you will find challenging work, state-of-the-art tools and technology, and excellent benefits. In addition, you will work beside some of the brightest minds and inventors in the industry.
We strive to exceed customer expectations in all aspects of our services. We define strategic objectives, operational improvement plans, and individual process improvement goals and action plans to serve as our road map for our journey of continual improvement. If you are looking for an opportunity to work in a diverse, exciting, rewarding, and challenging career, your search ends here!